October 10, 2008

Friday Show n Tell - October 10

Visit Mrs. Mary for Friday Show n Tell!




Guess what we have in our garden again?



Black swallowtail caterpillars!




This is a really young one crawling on a bucket edge...



This bucket of dill they have already attacked and eaten almost all of it...



This is an older one than in the first picture. There are a few this size...



They tickle when they crawl around on you. This one pooped on my hand. My little brother held it and it pooped on his hand too! He shrieked and threw it up in the air. Guess where it landed? On his head! That made him shriek and run around in circles. I got it safely and put it back in the dill...



I am going to keep some of these again (like in my other Show n Tell a few weeks ago) so I can see them form the chrysalis and emerge again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat pictures! Funny stories too.

My daughter is also homeschooled. You can visit her blog here:
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/RachelsWorld/

Anonymous said...

Very Cool! We raise Black Swallowtails each year and have planted our wildflower garder with flowers just for them. Besides Dill, they love parsley, Queen Annes Lace and Carrot Tops.

Andi Carter said...

OH, how special. I would love to see those catepillars in our yard. But alas, we get only the gross green cabbage butterflies that eat our broccali! And those wooley bears in the fall. Boring bugs, not near as fascinating as swallowtails...

Anonymous said...

That is funny about your little brother. I wouldn't mind putting a caterpillar on my sister's head.
Ash

Anonymous said...

I learned something new today. I've only known a caterpillar to be a caterpillar, not any Black Swallowtail ones!
Nice pictures, too!
Antoinette