September 18, 2008

Friday Show n Tell - September 19th

You can join Friday Show n Tell by visiting Canadagirl (Miss Mary).




These are black swallowtail caterpillars. We found them back in the middle of August in our parsley. I decided to let these two go. The three I kept that you saw on my Friday Show n Tell from last week were found on Sunday, August 31st. .......



This was the first black swallowtail butterfly to emerge from its chrysalis. We were still asleep when it emerged. I named it Max. A male has lots of yellow and less blue on it. .......


This was the second black swallowtail butterfly to emerge. We missed seeing this one too! I let my mom name it. She named it Jasmine. You can tell it is a female because it has lots of blue and little yellow. We used a book we have called Butterflies of Florida to help us know what a male looks like and what a female looks like. She was friendlier than Max. She let us hold her. She didn't want to fly away when we tried to release her. She tickled my fingers and arms. We placed her in our garden and the next day she was gone. .......


At the time I'm writing this post there is still one more in its chrysalis.

I hope you enjoyed this. Thank you to everyone who visited my Show n Tell last week and today!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. These are waaaayyyy cool!!! I just may have to show them to my boys!!! They would love it!!! I hope you share, at some point, if the other chrysalis opens!!! I love seeing these.

Thanks for sharing,
Robyn
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sonoranstamper/

Anonymous said...

Thank you ! You taught me something new !! I didn't know how to tell the difference between the female and male. How COOL !

I sure hope you get to see the 3rd one .

Blessings and ((HUGS))
In Him<><
Mrs. Mary

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I hope you get to see the next one emerge.

Jenny (jacstew)

Jennifer Hoots said...

Those are my favorites.
Jenn

Anonymous said...

They are lovely.
Blessings,
Dawn